History of Heath Pool
First recorded in 1782, Heath Pool was originally one of a series of ponds constructed to harness the flow of water to the mills that were popping up along the Withy Brook, which flanked the south-west boundary of Stourbridge.
Rhododendron bushes flanked parts of Heath Pool for many years
In the late 19th Century, during the formal layout of the park that surrounded the great house (known at that time as Studley Court, now the Council Offices) the designers decided that the view from the upper windows should not be able to see the park or the pool (and vice versa!). What’s more, the house was to be considered completely separate from the wider parkland – emphasising its status as a house for people of high social standing. Trees were planted surrounding the pool and a hedge was installed around the gardens of Studley Court.
Between 1923 and 1929, Studley Court became a boarding school for girls known as St. Andrew’s Convent School. The girls used the Heath Pool for early morning swimming.