The Stourbridge War Memorial was designed in the early 1920s by Ernest Pickford, who worked for a celebrated art metal-working company called Bromsgrove Guild.
Pickford’s creation features a fine bronze figure called Victorious Peace, created by the renowned Irish-born, Manchester-based sculptor John Cassidy. The stooping figure offers a wreath from her right hand, holding a furled flag in the other.
John Cassidy also created the beautifully detailed bronze panels and reliefs that decorate the Memorial. The metalwork was cast by Messrs. Martin’s, of Cheltenham, and by the Bromsgrove Guild. Money for the Memorial was raised by public donations.
The Memorial was installed just outside the library in Stourbridge High Street in the winter of 1922-23. It was unveiled by the Earl of Coventry on 16 February 1923. You can read what the County Express had to say about the new Memorial in its edition of 3 March 1923 here.
Due to the remodelling of the town’s roads in the 1968, including the creation of the ring road, the Memorial was moved block-by-block to its current place on the Park’s main boulevard.