History of the Bandstand
The Mary Stevens Park bandstand is made of cast iron and was manufactured by Hill & Smith* Ltd of Brierley Hill in 1929.
Although the initial bandstand design was rejected in favour of a more elaborate and expensive structure, architectural historians
believe that the chosen version was picked from a catalogue, since it is strikingly similar to many others from that time.
Unfortunately, none of the original design drawings for the bandstand are available. It is likely that it was enhanced by some bespoke features, though, such as the materials for the roof.
Architectural historians John Bolton and David Mitchell indicate that the original roof material of bandstands like the one in Mary Stevens Park was usually zinc sheeting on timber joists and sarking or occasionally on an iron framework.
The bandstand also contained a number of glass panels located inside the cast iron supports. A narrow ring of iron on the roof of the bandstand may be the only remnant of these glass panels and may have been the method of securing the panels to the frame.
The existence of the glass panels within the bandstand is confirmed by a report in the Stourbridge Improvements Committee Minutes from 12th July 1944.
*Hill & Smith still exists. Based in Bilston, near Wolverhampton, it now specialises in road safety and industrial barriers.